Saturday, September 26, 2009

Cult Actor of the Week



John Agar (1921-2002) From "Mr Shirley Temple" and movies with John Wayne and directed by John Ford to 50's Sci-fi and western film hero and then Z-grade films of the 60's, Agar had an interesting career in Hollywood.
In 1972 Forry Ackerman's Famous Monsters of Filmland reported Agar had died much to Mr Agar's surprise. It did get him some cameo film work, like the Mayor of New York in the King Kong remake. John Wayne remembered him and got Agar small parts in his movie in the late 60's.
"I don't resent being identified with B science fiction movies at all. Why should I? Even though they were not considered top of the line, for those people that like sci-fi, I guess they were fun. My whole feeling about working as an actor is, if I give anybody any enjoyment, I'm doing my job, and that's what counts." - John Agar
He kept getting a few parts in films up till the end, one was in Nightbreed (1990).
John Agar one of my favorite actors.

No comments:

Post a Comment